Top 10 Questions SMB’s Have About The Cloud
The 10 Top Questions On A Business Owners Mind When Considering Cloud Solutions
Over the past 5 years of providing cloud solutions to our clients we have found that the same questions are commonly asked that we have summarized below.
1. Is my data and systems secure in the cloud?- The answer is yes, Virtualization technology is what makes the cloud run, which is inherently safer than a traditional server environment.
- A virtual server can hold 7x as much as a traditional server
- Fewer points of entry into your network for malicious intent
- Fewer servers to monitor, making it easier to access and fix a security breach
- See server redundancy question for additional security benefits
2. How do you backup our data in the cloud?
- Backups are frequent and automated.
- There is no human error element, that for example “Bob” from IT was sick today and no else changed the tapes. Back-ups are sent digitally offsite to another location. This means your data is better protected against natural and man-made disasters, like hurricanes, fire or theft.
- Data/System recovery is much faster. If something were to happen to your data in the cloud, that data can easily be recovered and brought back online
3. Is there server redundancy in the cloud?
- What is redundancy? Having a computer system or network device that takes over when the primary unit fails.
- Redundancy is built into the virtualization technology itself.
- If one system goes down it automatically rolls to a new one.
- With the Cloud SMB’s have access to a technology that in the past has been complex and expensive.
- Business is up and running 100% of the time, equaling no loss in revenue or employee productivity.
4. Can my legacy applications run in the Cloud? Yes, the cloud actually preserves legacy applications they are ideal candidates to move to The Cloud.
- Many legacy applications are built and only run on outdated technology. If a problem or upgrade is needed for the application it is very expensive or impossible to move or upgrade the technology.
- By installing a “copy” of the application and server onto virtualized server in the Cloud, it allows it to run in a faster and less volatile technology platform.
5. How do cloud solutions cut energy cost?
- Virtualization, the technology that runs the cloud is 60% more energy efficient than traditional servers.
- Virtualized servers can be < 80% utilized. Versus traditional servers at 25%-30% utilized. Fewer servers are needed = less energy used.
- Using a Hosted Cloud Solution you could see a 30%-40% reduction in your electric bill
6. How can I access the cloud?
- You can access the cloud anytime and anywhere you have an internet connection from almost any device. There are applications that you can install to access multiple clouds.
- Being able to access the cloud(s) whenever allows employees to connect to their desktop and applications remotely allowing for better time management.
7. How can I maintain my IT system in the cloud?
- When you use the Sun Digital hosted cloud there are no maintenance responsibilities and server maintenance is provided when utilizing the cloud.
- Cloud solutions use virtualization technology. Sun Digital can monitor, maintain multiple IT systems, deploy maintenance, security patches, and software updates seamlessly.
- Prior to moving over to the cloud most Sun Digital clients spent 1 hour a day maintaining the it system. Depending on the systems size there could be an additional 2 hours of monthly maintenance. That is 22 hours and 14% of that IT staff person’s time.
- Sun Digital’s hosted cloud solution allows faster problem solving and helps your business to run more efficiently. Research has shown that personal cloud solutions will take over traditional business IT by 2014.
8. When should my business consider moving into the cloud?
- When starting a new company cloud solutions offer an affordable set up with a monthly hosting fee.
- Cloud solutions are more affordable than purchasing new servers and workstations when your equipment reaches its end of life.
- When your business needs to stabilize expenses with a hosted cloud solution there is one flat monthly cost instead of investing in more costly equipment.
9. Can my business do a partial cloud solution or all at once?
- When a business needs to replace costly technology the business owner can choose to make a large investment or move to a hosted cloud solution that doesn’t require a large invest.
- Some proprietary software does not perform well in a hosted cloud solution, it’s better for it to be directly on the client machine.
- If a client is not sure if a total cloud solution is right for them or want to try it out they sometimes choose a partial cloud solution for their email, calendar, and contact system.
10. Is the cloud expensive?
- With a hosted cloud environment businesses would be removing servers and applications then access them in the cloud eliminating hardware and energy costs.
- Hosted cloud solutions are priced according to usage.
- There is an added agility with a hosted cloud solution which assists in provisioning and development causing the IT team to become more efficient.
The bottom line is Cloud Solutions by Sun Digital are flexible, economical and have a place in most business, large and small. Whether is a small project to “try out” the cloud or a cost cutting measure, Sun Digital can help craft the right cloud technology Solution.
Schedule Your Free Cloud Consultation Today!